Serves 2 16p each
1. In mixing bowl combine the following until evening incorporated
1 beaten egg
200 ml milk
1 stock cube (crumbled )
2. mix in the following and leave to stand for 1-2 min.
it will look running to begin with. if its dry add a couple table spoons of water until it isn't. if it seems too wet add a little more potato. moisture content on products like this varies with storage, so i can't be 100% on the measurement.
50g potato flakes (just less than half a packet)
3. form into 2 large or 4 small potato cakes (flattened balls with smooth edges)
4. in a non-stick pan heat 1 tbsp oil over LOW heat. cook cakes on first side for 2 min
5. add 1 more table oil and quickly turn, cook for 2 more min.
6. turn frequently to prevent burning, but do not flatten.
* if you are having sausages with your meal, cook them in the pan first, and reserve the oil, that way you are saving the money you would have spent on the oil and reducing the over all cost by 3p.
this is actually something i do whenever i cook fatty meat, its a bit old fashioned to save things like pan drippings, but often there is a lot of great flavor that can be used for other things. just store covered in the fridge or freezer.
It's all about STARVING STUDENT SURVIVAL! - Mags, x
Nutritional information (Per Serving)
Tesco Everyday Value Mash 120G £0.20 £0.08
Tesco Creamfield Semi Skim 4 Pint 2.272L £1.00 £0.11
Tesco Everyday Value Eggs Box Of 15 £1.50 £0.10
Tesco Everyday Value Vegetable Oil 1 Litre £1.29 £0.03
* if you are worried about the fat, just use less oil, smear it over the top and bottom and oven bake for 10 min. not quite as good, but VERY close*