This one came just on budget at 50p, few... didn't want to start eliminating ingredients.
Decided i would make this one last week when i was looking for cinnamon for my banana cupcakes and nearly poured the jerk seasoning into the cinnamon cream cheese frosting instead. Which reminds me, i should really put that recipe up too sometime - so simple and uses up those bananas we all forget about.
Anyways, so i came up with this recipe last year, but the addition of the Caribbean rice is new, it balances the spicy nature of the jerk seasoning really well.
£2.98 :Serves 6 (50p per serving)
Pineapple Jerk Chicken
1. In a slow cooker, or oven proof dish combine the following.
1 can pineapple (with juice)
1 can tomatoes
1 cube garlic
1 Tbsp jerk seasoning
4 frozen chicken pieces
1 stock cube
2 med sweet potatoes
1/2 cup red lentils (for thickening)
Slow cook on low for 6 hours
Oven cook at 180 for 2 hours (make sure dish is tightly covered with foil and use defrosted chicken for oven variation)
* 30 min before the end of cooking put the rice on *
2. after cooking remove chicken from bone and add back to the
sauce, along with:
1 yellow pepper (diced)
1 can corn
Caribbean Rice -
1. add these ingredients together and bring to the boil.
1 can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 garlic cubes
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 sachet coconut cream
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
7 cups water
2. add 3 cups of rice and simmer for 15 min, cover tightly (foil and a lid). turn off and leave to steam for 20 min.
3. Enjoy! As always, freezes well and remember not to keep the rice in the fridge for more than a day.
It's all about STARVING STUDENT SURVIVAL! - Mags, x
Nutritional information (per serving)
Tesco Everyday Value Chicken Portions 2Kg £3.19 £0.64
Tesco Everyday Value Peppers £1.07 £0.11
Millstone Crushed Chillies 28G £0.69 £0.03
Tesco Everyday Value Sweetcorn 325G £0.33 £0.33
Tesco Wholefoods Red Split Lentils 1Kg £1.80 £0.18
Pataks Creamed Coconut Sachets 200G £1.20 £0.30
Tesco Everyday Value Tomatoes 400G £0.31 £0.31
Tesco Everyday Value Kidney Beans 400G £0.18 £0.18
Dorot Crushed Garlic 80G £1.00 £0.10
Tesco Everyday Value chicken stock cubes £0.10 £0.01
Schwartz Jamaican jerk seasoning 51g £1.76 £0.18
Tesco Everyday value tinned pineapple £0.32 £0.32
Tesco sweet potatoes 1.25kg (2 for £2) £1.00 £0.40
Tesco dried thyme 16g £0.75 £0.07
* I like this best made with chicken, but sausages work great too, if you want a little bit more more meat for around the same amount of money.
Tesco Everyday Value 20 Sausages 1Kg £1.00, 2 per portion - 12 for 60p