Wednesday, 14 November 2012
38p Lamb stew with mash and veg
This weeks recipe is another winter warmer: lamb stew and dumplings with mash.
Lamb is obviously more expensive than other strew/casarole meats such as beef or chicken, but it also has the most flavor. This recipe calls for breast of lamb, a very inexpensive, albeit fatty, cut. In cooking terms, fat is flavor, and other than the dumplings, no other fat is added to this recipe.
£2.31 for 6 servings - 38p/serving
1. Brown 1/3 of a 0.5kg pack of lamb breast in a frying pan
2. meanwhile add the folllowing to the slow cooker:
1/2 bag casarole veg
3 litres water
1/2 tsp each rosemary and thyme
2 stock cubes
salt and pepper.
3. add the rendered lamb to the liquid.
4. slow cook on high for 2-3 hours.
5. when lamb is very tender make the dumplings:
combine the following and scoop out in spoonfulls placing on the surface of the stew.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
1/4 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
(all dry ingredients should be sieved together, then butter rubbed in with fingertips till there are pea sized pieces before adding the milk)
quantity of milk varies depending on flour. dough should be wet, but not liquid.
6. replace slow cooker lid and alow stew with dumplings on top to steam for a further 30-45 min.
7. make mash
In a bowl, combine:
packet of instant potato flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp gound black pepper
1 cup milk cold milk
1 cup water boiling water
whisk quickly and place in the microwave for 2 min
I have green beans pictured, but normally i would do peas, i had just run out. Defrost 1/2 cup of peas per serving in boiling water, drain and place covered in the microwave for 1 min.
8. the gravy should naturally thicken from the dumplings, but if its not thick enough for your taste stir a couple table spoons of gravy granuals.
Tesco Everyday Value Lamb Breast £2.70 £0.90
Tesco Everyday Value Garden Peas 900G £1.00 £0.10
Tesco Baking Powder 170G £0.99 £0.03
Tesco Everyday Value Plain Flour 1.5Kg £0.52 £0.05
Tesco Everyday Value chicken stock cubes £0.10 £0.02
Tesco dried thyme 16g £0.75 £0.05
Tesco dried rosemary 16g £0.75 £0.05
Tesco Creamfield Semi Skim 4 Pint 2.272L £1.00 £0.25
Tesco Baking Fat 250G £0.55 £0.11
Tesco Everyday Value Mash 120G £0.20 £0.20
Tesco Casserole Vegetables 1Kg £1.00 £0.50